In the fast-paced world of e-commerce, the visibility of your products can make or break your business. In an earlier blog post, we introduced free Google Shopping product listings. We covered what they are, and how to set them up.
Today's post picks up the baton, and introduces the BlackCurve Google Shopping Visibility Score, essentially a simple metric that shows how effectively you are making use of the Google Shopping free product listing feature. A strong score is crucial for your e-commerce success. If potential customers can't find your products, you miss out on valuable sales opportunities.
What Is Google Shopping Visibility Score?
Google Shopping Visibility Score is a BlackCurve metric that gauges how effectively your products are displayed to potential customers on Google Shopping. It measures the percentage of your product inventory that is visible to users when they search for relevant keywords or products. Essentially, it answers the question: "Are your products showing up when and where they should?"
The Shocking Average Score
As of August 2023, the average Google Shopping Visibility Score is 73%. This means that, on average, 27% of a product inventory is not getting the visibility it deserves. It's a wake-up call for e-commerce businesses. Imagine having a physical store where more than a quarter of your products are hidden from customers' view; it's a significant loss in potential revenue.
The Culprit: Missing or Incorrect GTINs
One of the major reasons for poor visibility is missing or incorrect Global Trade Item Numbers (GTINs). These unique product identifiers are critical for Google to match user searches with your products. When GTINs are missing or inaccurate, your products may not show up in relevant search results. It's a seemingly small detail that can have a massive impact on your online sales.
The Highs and Lows
In August 2023, the lowest Google Shopping Visibility Score recorded was a mere 52%. This means that in that particular case, 1 in 2 products remained hidden from potential customers. On the flip side, the highest score was an impressive 93%, but even this top performer had room for improvement with over a thousand products still not displaying correctly. Averages can still hide all manner of sins!
The Challenge: Achieving 80%+
Only 18% of companies achieved a Google Shopping Visibility Score of 80% or higher. This highlights the competitive landscape of e-commerce and the need for businesses to optimize their product listings to stand out and capture the attention of potential buyers.
Take Control of Your Visibility
Your e-commerce success is closely tied to your products' visibility. Here are some key takeaways to boost your Google Shopping Visibility Score:
- Fix GTIN Issues: Ensure that your GTIN data is accurate and complete. This is a fundamental step toward improving your product visibility.
- Optimize Product Listings: Craft detailed, keyword-rich product listings that make it easier for Google to match user searches with your products.
- Monitor and Adapt: Continuously monitor your Google Shopping Visibility Score and make adjustments as needed. Stay informed about industry trends and changes in search algorithms.
- Engage with Your Audience: Encourage customer reviews, engage with feedback, and foster a positive online reputation. A strong online presence can improve your visibility.
- Leverage Paid Advertising: Consider using paid advertising options on Google Shopping to boost the visibility of your products, especially for high-potential items.
In the highly competitive world of e-commerce, Google Shopping Visibility Scores offer a critical metric for success. By addressing GTIN issues, optimizing product listings, and staying vigilant about your score, you can significantly improve your online visibility, attract more customers, and drive sales.
Don't let your hard work in other areas of your e-commerce business go to waste. Take control of your product visibility and watch your online sales soar.