Adam Anderson, Chief Commercial Officer at The Fragrance Shop
Adam is an influential senior leader, with a proven track record in developing & maintaining product offers.
He has ownership of the Customers’ experience with the product and service proposition, putting their needs at the heart of commercial decision making, and subsequently generating value for the business.
He has direct responsibility and accountability for overall company commercial roadmap, product proposition, trading & supply chain.
1. How did you first get into retail, and what attracted you to the sector initially?
I loved the influence mathematical planning could have on outcome of product supply chain.
2. How has the retail sector changed since you first began your career, and have you had a role in the changes?
I started when the internet was effectively the intranet. Yes I am that old..! For the past 10 years I have held senior leadership roles in digital first businesses. It's important to ensure you are channel agnostic. The customer doesn't think by channel, they think product first.
3. If we bumped into you outside the office, where would we most likely find you?
At the side of a rugby pitch watching my son play or in the gym.
4. In light of recent high profile retailers going under, how do you think retailers should be adapting to stay alive?
Retailers are too fixed on 3 year and 5 year plans and that in itself creates problems. Be agile. Move quickly and fearlessly.
5. What excites you about retail?
What excites me is the ever present challenge retailers face based on the evolution of customer expectation.